https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8VUXZSJf5k

Monday, January 2, 2017

Oh, Please Calm Down!

Calm is one of the adjectives people say to describe me -  that the more stressful the situation was, the calmer I became. But what is calmness? 

One of my favourite authors, and a connection in my LinkedIn profile is Dr. Travis Bradberry.  I was inspired to write my own version of calmness through his post "How Successful People Stay Calm" in LinkedIn.

He says, “Calmness is the ability to manage your emotions and remain calm under pressure.”***

Categorically, calmness is the exact opposite of a freak out.  Insecurity, fear & panic can cause freak outs.  Knowing one’s self-worth however, produces peace, security and calmness.

Being calm at work, promotes productivity and efficiency.  It eliminates to some degree, the negative energy that goes around the atmosphere.  It can be an ingredient to a good working environment.

When I was a Staff Medic in Senior High, I was branded as the Medic who had the most transparent facial expression.  I strongly disliked that image at all and I worked to achieve this state of calmness.

Through the years, I achieved some level of composure and life events honed me to be calm in trying moments.  I learned that while a person can fake it and act calmly, it is best to be genuinely calm inside. This is authentic and manifests truly in the outside.

At work, responding calmly in circumstances where emotions are heightened will surely steer you away from trouble.  We all tend to react by instinct and this does not end well in the workplace.    

I have learned that “biting one’s tongue”, so to speak, is better as this helps prevent a counter reaction from the other person.  Counting one to ten before opening my mouth helps me choose the right words to say.  

Reacting bluntly and impulsively puts a person in bad light, even if one has a good point.  Assertion is not the issue here.  Yes, we need to assert ourselves.  But how do we do it gracefully?

Where does this calmness come from?  It comes from one’s upbringing, personality and perspective.  In most times, the most raised voice is not the winner of the argument. 

How do we achieve this calmness?   You may check out Dr. Bradberry's tips in his article "How Successful People Stay Calm" in LinkedIn.

As an addition, here are my ten cents on the matter:  It is more of what’s inside us.  How do we perceive things?  Are we being grateful of what we have in our hands?  Or are we being fearful or worrisome?  Do we think negatively all the time?  Do we have enough rest?  Are we aware of our wellness? Do we have time to walk away and give ourselves a break?

No comments:

Post a Comment